The team at Benoît Péloquin Arpenteur-géomètre inc. has put together some frequently asked questions. If you have any other questions, please send them to us and we will be pleased to help you.
Can surveying be done in the winter?
Yes, we work both winter and summer. However, some work is easier to do in the summer.
Is it possible to obtain an update of a location certificate?
It is not possible to obtain an update of a certificate. A land surveyor, amongst other things, has to take new measurements of the land, conduct new research on municipal regulations, research the land register and perform new calculations to verify the limits of the property. This will ensure we have an up-to-date location certificate.
Are markers or boundaries installed when a location certificate is made?
No, a request for a certificate of location service does not include the installation of bench-marks or boundary markers. Installation of markers is a different mandate. For more details, please refer to the staking section. Simultaneous execution of both mandates is sometimes possible.
Who Is Your Target Clientele?
- Real Estate Developers
- Individuals selling their residence
- Individuals or companies wondering about the position of their fences
- Individuals who want to expand their home or have a fence installed, install an inground pool, etc.
- Real estate agents who ask us to do work for their clients
- General contractors during a new construction, renovations or real estate development
- Engineering firms for specific expertise
- Municipalities for specific needs (creation of servitude, topographical plan, GPS survey, etc.)
- And more
What Are the Reasons for Calling on the Expertise of a Land Surveyor?
- Real Estate Transaction
- Real Estate Development
- Dispute between neighbours
- Request by the city to a private individual
- Riparian strip location
- Wetland location
- Floodline location
- Digitization (3D scanner, LiDAR) of a complex architectural facade
- Land subdivision
- Expert Witness
- And more
Is the presence of the owner necessary during the survey?
If access to your backyard is possible, for example without locked fence, generally you do not need to be present during the survey of the property.
If it involves surveying for a condominium, a townhouse or a building with common walls, an appointment must be made with the owner to take the measurements inside.
What is the Role of the Land Surveyor?
Video "Le travail de l'arpenteur-géomètre complémentaire à celui du notaire" presented by the Greater Montréal Real Estate Board (GMREB).
What is a Location Certificate?
Video "Le certificat de localisation essentiel à toute transaction immobilière" presented by the Fédération des chambres immobilières du Québec (FCIQ).
Why is it so important to position a fence at the proper location?
Excerpt from the show "Sacrés objets!" broadcast on TV5 in which Benoît Péloquin is questioned on fences.